HOW DO YOU OBTAIN A G1 LICENSE?
To apply for a G1 licence, you must be at least 16 years old. At the drive test centre, you must pass a vision test and a written test about the rules of the road and traffic signs. Once these three requirements are met, you will get your G1 licence.
Being a new driver, with a G1 licence in hand, it’s important to understand G1 licensing requirements and restrictions. A G1 licence is highly restrictive and if you do not follow the rules, you could be faced with a licence suspension along with any associated fine.
Perfect Driver Training can help you understand these rules and move on to the next step in the process, acquiring your G2 License.
WHAT ARE G1 LICENSE CONDITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS?
In addition to obeying the rules of the road like all other drivers, G1 drivers must also:
- Drive only when they have a “zero” blood alcohol level (no exceptions).
- Drive only when there is another fully licensed driver in the vehicle who has a minimum of four years of experience, sitting in the passenger seat. This person must have a blood alcohol level below 0.05%, unless they are 21 years old or younger in which they too must have a zero blood alcohol level.
- Ensure all passengers wear a functioning seatbelt, and that the number of passengers does not exceed the seat belts available.
- Not drive on any 400-series highway or high-speed expressway (like the QEW and the Gardiner Expressway). However, you can drive on any road (including major highways) if the driver accompanying you is a licensed Ontario driving instructor.
- Not drive between the hours of midnight and 5:00 a.m.
These rules are important to know and follow. If you are convicted of breaking the rules, there are serious legal consequences. Perfect Driver Training can help provide the guidance and assistance you need as a new driver.
HOW TO GRADUATE FROM A G1 LICENSE TO GETTING A G2 LICENSE?
Before you can get your G2 licence, you must pass the G2 road test. The G2 road test will test your basic driving skills. Usually, the G2 test can be taken after you’ve had your G1 for 12 months. However, the process can move faster if you’ve taken an approved driver’s training course. With a driver’s training course under your belt, you can take your G2 road test after just 8 months.
IF I HAVE EXPERIENCE FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY, DOES THE G1 PROCESS CHANGE FOR ME?
All drivers in Ontario are still required to take the G1 driving test. The G1 driving test is a requirement for all drivers in Ontario. All students must also pass the vision test.
WHAT ARE YOUR PRICES FOR LESSONS & ROAD TESTS?
The prices are specific to the situation and sometimes certain offers are available.
We have special packages available that can be customized to fit the student’s requirements. Please take a look at the “Packages” section on our website for more information.
Please call New Method Driving School at your earliest convenience to find out more details.
HOW MANY LESSONS DO I NEED?
Every student is different. While some students may need only 1 or 2 lessons, other students might require more.
After a few lessons, the instructor will be better able to predict how many lessons might be needed. Rest assured that you will receive only the amount of lessons you need to pass your test and learn how to drive safely.
CAN THE INSTRUCTOR BOOK MY ROAD TEST?
Yes, we would be more than happy to book your road test for you, without extra charge.
WHOSE CAR CAN I USE FOR MY ROAD TEST?
You can use your own car or the instructor’s car for your road test. However, we advise against using your own car as our cars are safer to use.
DOES THE PRICE OF THE ROAD TEST VARY DEPENDING ON THE TEST CENTRE’S LOCATION?
The price charged is dependent on the location you choose to do your test. Locations that are further away might be more expensive as more gas and time are required for travel.